Friday, September 30, 2011

The Secret Life Of CeeCee Wilkes by Diane Chamberlain


In 1977, pregnant Genevieve Russell disappeared. Twenty years later, her remains are discovered and Timothy Gleason is charged with murder. But there is no sign of the unborn child.

CeeCee Wilkes knows how Genevieve Russell died, because she was there. And she also knows what happened to the missing infant, because two decades ago she made the devastating choice to raise the baby as her own. Now Timothy Gleason is facing the death penalty, and she has another choice to make. Tell the truth, and destroy her family. Or let an innocent man die in order to protect a lifetime of lies…

I picked this up on a whim at a book sale and I am so glad I did. It was a quick (even at 522 pages!) and interesting read.

CeeCee Wilkes is a 16 year old girl who has lost her mother and never knew her father. She is surviving on her own as a waitress trying to raise money to get into college. One day Tim, a handsome and charming college student, walks into the diner and changes her life. CeeCee is blinded by love and the wonderful things Tim tells her and she does anything to hold onto him, even if it means going against her better judgement. After one bad decision her life spins out of control and turns upside-down.

Chamberlain's writing is gripping and intricate. She puts you inside the characters heads, you feel everything they do. The book flows so well that 100 pages seem to go buy in minutes. I would have finished this within 24 hours if I weren't sick and needed sleep.

The story is unbelievable at times but not over the top. I love the depth of CeeCee's character. You see the struggles she goes through on a day to day basis and how much she grows over the years.

The only thing I really have an issue with is the lack of depth in the daughters character. She has a few chapters in the book dedicated to her character but I never felt the depth. I was annoyed with her more than I felt compassion for her, which is what you should feel given what happens in the story.

Other than that, I loved this book. It is definitely a page turner. I will be looking into more of this authors writing.

4.5 out of 5 stars.

BUY IT HERE: The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes

2 comments:

  1. I think I want to read this now. :D I hope my library has it. :) Good review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete