Friday, October 28, 2011

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

When Henry meets Clare, he is twenty-eight and she is twenty. Henry has never met Clare before; Clare has known Henry since she was six. Impossible but true, because Henry finds himself periodically displaced in time, pulled to moments of emotional gravity from his life, past and future. Henry and Clare's attempts to live normal lives are threatened by a force they can neither prevent nor control, making their passionate love story intensely moving and entirely unforgettable. The Time Traveler's Wife is a story of fate, hope and belief, and more than that, it's about the power of love to endure beyond the bounds of time.


I have wanted to read this book for a very long time. I'm actually a little upset it took me so long to get to it. It is a great book.

Clare meets Henry when she is just 6 years old. Henry meets Clare when she is 20 years old. Henry has chrono-displacement disorder, in laymen terms, he is a time traveler.

I really liked this book. Niffenegger took time travel and made it believable. She made it a disease, something completely uncontrollable. And the love story was epic. It truly was. A love that defies time and space. I fell in love with both characters almost immediately. I got pulled in by the story and lost track of time on many occasions. I loved how it was all laid out. I loved the foreshadowing and how she told the story almost chronologically but included Henrys time jumps also.

I did have a few problems with it though. Niffenegger went into such incredible detail about so many completely useless things. She could go on and on about the food they were eating or grocery lists. I found it incredibly irritating. Also, some of the language that was interspersed throughout seemed unnecessary at times, almost inappropriate (this is coming from someone who swears like a sailor).

I loved the movie adaptation of this and I think that took a toll on how I perceived the book. I had such a romanticized idea about this story because of the movie that the book kind of fell flat in that aspect. I tried to keep it separate as much as possible but the movies is one of my favorite romantic movie, so it was a bit difficult.

All in all, this is a great book. Worth the read.

4 out of 5 stars

BUY IT HERE:

No comments:

Post a Comment