Monday, January 2, 2012

The Domino Effect by Andrew Cotto


The Domino Effect is the story of Danny Rorro, a charismatic kid from Queens poisoned by the past. A series of painful defeats have left him scarred and isolated from his neighborhood, his parents, and, most significantly, the benevolent ways of his childhood when he was known as “Domino.” With great insight, imagery and wit, Danny recalls his past in Queens and his coming-of-age at Hamden Academy. This fastpaced and powerful story is rich with conflict, humor, tenderness and music—just like life, especially when coming-of-age.

I received this book from the author due to a contest I won.

I liked it, but it was just okay.

Daniel "Domino" Rosso is a pretty normal teenager during the early 90's but one incident occurs that sends him off to boarding school. There he meets a variety of friends, his first love and makes a few enemies. The story follows his years in high school, focusing mainly on his junior and senior year.

I want to start off by saying, the writing in this book is very good. The story wasn't great but Cotto's writing was. The only part I did not like, was the little blips of foreshadowing. They would just be thrown in at the end of a chapter, a short sentence, but they drove me crazy. There are much better ways to foreshadow and make the story better.

Danny was a pretty believable character. I saw his charm and wit perfectly. His choices baffled me at times and I don't know if they were quite realistic but Danny, himself, was. I didn't really feel pity for him because he made some pretty dumb decisions but that didn't change the fact that I liked him.

It wasn't a great story. Like I said, Danny's decisions are odd and there didn't really seem to be a big climax. The story just went along and events took place, then it ended. The ending was very heart warming and I found myself smiling as I read it, though.

So the story was just okay but nicely written. I would like to see what other books come from this author.

3 out of 5 stars

BUY IT HERE:The Domino Effect

No comments:

Post a Comment