Thursday, May 10, 2012

The Photograph by Penelope Lively

It opens with a snapshot: a young woman, Kath, at an unknown gathering, hands clasped with a man not her husband, their backs to the camera. Its envelope is marked DO NOT OPEN-DESTROY. But Kath's husband, Glyn, does not heed the warning. The mystery of the photograph, and of Kath herself and her recent death, propels him on a journey of discovery that sends shock waves through the lives of her family and friends. The elfin Kath-with her mesmerizing looks and casual ways-moves like an insistent ghost through the thoughts and memories of everyone who knew her: self-centered Glyn, past his lusty, passionate professorial prime; her remorselessly competent sister Elaine, a doyenne garden designer married to feckless ne'er-do-well Nick; and their daughter Polly, beloved of Kath, who oscillates between home and family and the tumultuous new era she inhabits. 

Oh, where do I begin? I did not enjoy this book, which disappoints me, as always. The premise sounded interesting but it was poorly told. The characters weren't developed, I had no feelings for them, one way or another. Plus, it so painfully slow. I only read the first chapter and skimmed the rest. I waited for it to pick up and go somewhere but it never did. When I can figure out the "twist" about half way through a book that I am only skimming, that tells you how bad it was.

What else can I say? The book was slow, morose, boring and predictable.

I am not a fan.

1 out of 5 stars

1 comment: