Saturday, November 5, 2011

Blue by Lou Aronica

Chris Astor is a man in his early forties who is going through the toughest stretch of his life. Becky is Chris's fourteen-year-old daughter, a girl who overcame enormous challenges to become a vibrant, vital young woman - and now faces her greatest obstacle yet. Miea is the young queen of a fantasy land that Becky and Chris created when Becky was little, a fantasy land that has developed a life of its own and now finds itself in terrible, maybe fatal trouble. Together, Chris, Becky, and Miea need to uncover a secret. The secret to why their worlds have joined at this moment. The secret to their purpose. The secret to the future. It is a secret that, when discovered, will redefine imagination for all of them. Blue is a novel of trial and hope, invention and rediscovery. It might very well take you someplace you never knew existed.

I have mixed emotions about this book. There were things I liked but there were also several I did not like.

This is less a fantasy book and more a book about family with some fantasy thrown in. It is Chris and Becky's story overall. It wasn't quite what I expected when I read the blurb. That isn't necessarily a bad thing though.

The concept of the book is great. A father and daughter create an imaginary world to get through the daughters fight with cancer. Once in remission and after the divorce of her parents, Becky calls off the story making. 4 years later she finds herself, literally, in the world she once created. 

The beginning of the story starts off pretty slow and a little confusing. There is just so much back story to get through before you can fully understand what is going on. It was also very predictable. I had it figured out almost from the beginning. The character Gage really didn't fit in well for me either. I think Aronica could have left him out and instead built on some of the other key characters that felt one dimensional. Also, the writing wasn't all that great, it was good but not great.

Now on to the good things.  The descriptions of Tamerisk are great. You get pulled in and visualize this fantasy world with great detail. It was fun to visualize these unique colors and animals that were in this other world. Who wouldn't want to live in a world that smells like chocolate?! Plus, Becky was a great character. She was smart and funny and I sympathized with her. I felt for Chris, Becky's father. As a mother, I couldn't imagine the things he went/is going through.The last bit of the book was the best. I think Aronica handled it perfectly. I will admit I shed a little tear. It was a perfect end to the story.

It wasn't the best fantasy I have read but it was heartwarming and sweet.

3 out of 5 stars

BUY IT HERE: Blue

There is also a prequel Blue that I have not read yet but you can check it out here: Until Again: Prequel Novella to BLUE

No comments:

Post a Comment