Thursday, November 17, 2011

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

The circus arrives at night, without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within nocturnal black and white striped tents awaits a unique experience, a feast for the senses, where one can get lost in a maze of clouds, meander through a lush garden made of ice, stand awestruck as a tattooed contortionist folds herself into a small glass box, and gaze in wonderment at an illusionist performing impossible feats of magic. 
Welcome to Le Cirque des RĂªves.

I loved this book. It was magical, pun intended.

Celia and Marco are bound together before they even meet. They are the key players of a game. A very unusual game that no one truly understands. Because of this game Le Cirque des Reves is born and with it come a plethora of unique characters that you won't soon forget.

The writing in this book is the best I have read in a very long time. Morgenstern entrances you with her talent of description. The imagery is mesmerizing. It is like a dream, an incredibly vivid dream and sometimes a nightmare. It pulls you in until you are in the circus tent or eating the food at a Midnight Dinner. There were many time I went back and reread a passage because I wanted to feel it all again.

There were many characters throughout the story and at times it got a bit confusing. Most characters were well developed but some I wanted to know more about. The two main characters are great. You get to know them and feel the emotions. I did fall in love with Marco, though maybe that's just the girl in me.

I'm conflicted with how I feel about how the book is laid out. I found it confusing with the time jumps and switches in characters. But now I think it makes the story that much more enchanting. The confusion adds to the mystery and magic of the plot. Everything unfolds slowly but at precisely the right time. Though, I didn't see that until I finished the book.

There is so much more I want to write about The Night Circus but I don't want to give anything away and take from your own experience with the book. Just read it.

I would recommend this book to anyone who is willing to read it. I don't think you will regret it.

I believe this will go in the very small pile of books I will read over and over again.


5 out of 5 stars.


BUY IT HERE: The Night Circus

2 comments:

  1. Adding this book to my Christmas wish list then. :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will order it from your link!

    ReplyDelete