Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Sentence of Marriage by Shayne Parkinson

In nineteenth century New Zealand, there are few choices for a farm girl like Amy. Her life seems mapped out for her by the time she is twelve. Amy dreams of an exciting life in the world beyond her narrow boundaries. But it is the two people who come to the farm from outside the valley who change her life forever, and Amy learns the high cost of making the wrong choice.

There is a reason I don't read these kinds of books. I just do not find them interesting enough. This was no exception and it was dark and sad to boot.

The writing was good, just very simple. There were no bells and whistles, which is not a bad thing. I did find that Parkinson rambled on sometimes but it wasn't excessive. The characters are well hashed out, also. I did find myself caring about some of the them. In general, though, I found it boring. I know it is supposed to be a realistic look at the time period but I could not get into it. It was a bit predictable too. I had quite a few things figured out before they even became big events.

Almost immediately bad things start happening to the main character, Amy, and they just don't seem to end. It was very depressing. After reading all that happens to her you keep hoping for a happy ending but you don't get it. I felt the ending was a little abrupt and depressing. It leaves you hanging, which I now understand because this book is the first of a quartet. Either way, it was disappointing.

Part of me wants to read the other three books to find out what happens to Amy but I don't think I could stand to read another book like this one.

2 out of 5 stars

Here is the link to the entire series
BUY IT HERE:  Shayne Parkinson books

No comments:

Post a Comment