Friday, March 9, 2012

Agent 6 by Tom Rob Smith

Leo Demidov is no longer a member of Moscow's secret police. But when his wife, Raisa, and daughters Zoya and Elena are invited on a "Peace Tour" to New York City, he is immediately suspicious.

Forbidden to travel with his family and trapped on the other side of the world, Leo watches helplessly as events in New York unfold and those closest to his heart are pulled into a web of political conspiracy and betrayal-one that will end in tragedy.



This is the last book of a trilogy by Smith. I love, love, loved the first, Child 44. I liked the second, The Secret Speech. Agent 6 was, by far, the worst of all three. I didn't like this one much.

Smith brought out my fascination for this period of time in the USSR with Child 44. All of his books are filled with horrifying facts of life then. That and the great writing are the only things this book had going for it. It had the facts but none of the suspense or grit of the first book.

I had a hard time getting into this one. I thought it was because I was sick but once I started feeling better I still couldn't get into it. The whole thing dragged. I could barely make myself care about the characters that I loved and cared about in the other two books. The huge time jumps drove me crazy, too.

I highly recommend reading Child 44. Tom Rob Smith is a fantastic writer. I can't wait to read what else he comes out with. I just hope it's more like his debut novel.

2 out of 5 stars

BUY IT HERE:Agent 6

1 comment:

  1. Elaine Charles recently reviewed this audio book, on The Book Report, sounded pretty interesting, I think I shall start at the beginning though. You can listen to the review here - http://www.bookreportradio.com

    ReplyDelete