Saturday, March 3, 2012

Before I Go to Sleep by S.J. Watson

'As I sleep, my mind will erase everything I did today. I will wake up tomorrow as I did this morning. Thinking I'm still a child. Thinking I have a whole lifetime of choice ahead of me ...' Memories define us. So what if you lost yours every time you went to sleep? Your name, your identity, your past, even the people you love - all forgotten overnight. And the one person you trust may only be telling you half the story. Welcome to Christine's life.

I don't remember how I heard about this book. All I remember is that when I did, I knew I had to read it.

The book reminded me a lot of Memento (the movie, as I have not read the book...yet). Almost immediately you are brought into this big mystery. I was sitting there the entire time trying to figure it out. I had the ups and downs that Christine had, I was even doubting myself when she did. My mind was going through all sorts of crazy scenarios that could solve Christine's mystery. I love when books do that. When they mess with your head a bit and truly bring you into the suspense.

It was written well. The fact that you know only as much as Christine does makes it more thrilling. It very easily could have ended up repetitive and annoying but it wasn't at all. There were parts that I didn't think were necessary. Parts that I thought, would someone really write that down in their journal? Even if they were amnesic, is that necessary? There were only a few of those parts, though.

Toward the end I did have it figured out but I still think it was played out nicely. My only gripe about the book is the ending. I think it should have been a big emotional thing but it ended up being rushed and neatly packaged. I wanted a bit more out of it. I wasn't all that thrilled with the main character, either, but that got pushed aside by the great writing and suspense.

Overall, it's a pretty good book!

4 out of 5 stars

BUY IT HERE:Before I Go to Sleep: A Novel

No comments:

Post a Comment