Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel s story is about to be completely rewritten.

This is one of those rare books, for me. One that you absolutely cannot put down but force yourself to because you just don't want it to end. I made myself set the book down from time to time, not just because I had to do things like eat and sleep but because I just didn't want to finish it quite yet. I still read it in two days.

This book hurt me. It was painful to read. First it hurt because I was laughing so hard and then smiling so much. Then it hurt because I was crying so hard and my heart was truly broken. Like I said, it hurt.

The Fault in Our Stars is by no means a groundbreaking cancer book but it is so beautifully written that it feels more personal than any other I have read. I have heard a lot of people complain about the way Hazel and Augustus talk. That they don't "talk like normal teenagers." But they aren't normal teenagers. They have been through hell and back. Hazel is 16 years old, has stage IV cancer, has her GED and is attending college. That isn't normal. So I think they spoke exactly how they should have. All I could think while reading some of their quips and conversations is that I really wanted to know these kids! They were written exactly as they should be.

This is a book that I know I will reread several times. I actually borrowed it from the library but I am going to go buy a copy today. I find no flaws in this book, except that it made me lose sleep. I recommend this book to everyone. Just don't read it before bed because you will not get enough sleep if you do.

5 out of 5 stars

BUY IT HERE:The Fault in Our Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment