Sunday, March 25, 2012

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

What if you only had one day to live? What would you do? Who would you kiss? And how far would you go to save your own life?

Samantha Kingston has it all: looks, popularity, the perfect boyfriend. Friday, February 12, should be just another day in her charmed life. Instead, it turns out to be her last.
The catch: Samantha still wakes up the next morning. Living the last day of her life seven times during one miraculous week, she will untangle the mystery surrounding her death--and discover the true value of everything she is in danger of losing.


This is a hard book to rate. I loved it and I hate it. I loved how emotional it became and the thoughts it brought with it. I also hated the thoughts it brought and how unfair it was, over and over again.

In the beginning I hated Sam. Hated her. She is the epitome of a spoiled mean girl. That is the point, though. You are supposed to hate her in the beginning. She is supposed to be terrible. You can't become good if you are already good from the start.

I really appreciated her growth throughout the book. As I was reading and thinking about what I would do in that situation I came to the conclusion that I would act pretty similar to her. There would be confusion, then anger and rebellion and then, finally, peace and understanding.

What really makes this book is not the characters, though. It is Oliver's writing. It is beautiful and descriptive and so real. It has been 7 years since I was in high school and I didn't even have the kind of experience that was in this book, but she was still able to bring me back there.

The end is one that you have to sit back and think about after you are done. I finished it hours ago and haven't stopped thinking about it. It moved me. I may have shed a tear in the end, too.

I think this book is worth reading. Read it, if for nothing else, to remind you how precious every single day is and how for every single one of your actions there is a reaction.

Read it. Think about it.

4 out of  5 stars.

BUY IT HERE:Before I Fall

No comments:

Post a Comment