Friday, February 3, 2012

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

Magic is dangerous--but love is more dangerous still. 

When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray crosses the ocean to find her brother, her destination is England, the time is the reign of Queen Victoria, and something terrifying is waiting for her in London's Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets. Only the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons, keep order amidst the chaos. ...

I picked this up because it is the prequel to Clare's other series, The Mortal Instruments, which I really enjoyed. I probably would have enjoyed this book much more if I hadn't read The Mortal Instruments first. But alas, that's not the way it went.

Clockwork Angel was too much like City of Bones. Sure, the characters names changed and the time did too but the basics are there. Tessa and Clary, Will and Jace, Alec and Jem. They are the same characters, near mirror images of each other. I couldn't help but be annoyed. It didn't have the action I liked in the other books, either. It tended to drag a lot of the time.

I like Tessa, the main character. She is a strong, clever, and unlike Clary, she isn't annoyingly childlike. Plus, her love of books made her win over my heart a little more. I also know, due to the fact that this was set in Victorian era England, it is very realistic to have Tessa obsess about what is proper for men and women to do and not do but I found it annoying. Extremely so. We got the point the first couple of times, it wasn't necessary to bring it up every single time.

The love story fell flat for me. Will just wasn't appealing. You get glimpses of his caring, sweet side but more times than not you see that he is just trying to cover an inner ugliness. I couldn't get myself to like him or care about his past.

I love, love, loved Jem though. He is loyal, sweet and smart. His past gives him more depth and made him more likable, unlike Will.

The story was well written. Clare has a great imagination and puts it to paper well. I feel like I am in the worlds she creates. The one thing Angel had over the other series is that Clare lost the endless supply of similes in this book. They were near suffocating in City of Bones and the like.

I did like the book, even with it's flaws. It had some humor and fun. I have already downloaded the second book and will be reading it anyway. I have heard it is better. Here's hoping!

I do want to share one of my favorite quotes of the book, it is when Tessa won me over and I'm sure you will see why!

“One must always be careful of books," said Tessa, "and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.” 

Beautifully said!

3 out of 5 stars

BUY IT HERE:Clockwork Angel (Infernal Devices)

No comments:

Post a Comment