Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Sister by Rosamund Lupton

When Beatrice gets a frantic call that her younger sister, Tess, is missing, she immediately boards the first flight home to London. as she learns about the circumstances surrounding Tess's disappearance, Bee will risk everything to find out what really happened to her beloved younger sister. A suspenseful, thrilling story and a beautiful portrayal of the love between siblings with a knockout twist, Sister is a masterful debut.

I really enjoyed this book. It was fast paced and kept you reading to find out more. I would have read it in one sitting if I could have. Again, life got in the way as it always seems to do.

I was skeptical in the beginning. I didn't like how it was written but once I got a little further into it, I loved it.

The story is told by Beatrice writing a letter, in her head, to her sister. In this letter she describes the circumstances that lead her to where she is now and to her sisters disappearance.
I hate using the word disappearance in this. The blurb on the back is misleading (I'm sensing a trend.). It becomes clear very early on what really happened to Tess, Beatrice's sister. I know it is the blurbs job to get people interested in reading the book, but they really could write them much better, without misleading the reader.

Beatrice really comes to life as does even the smallest of characters. I liked the backing theme of sisterly love motivating Bee, it gave it a realistic quality. Though, there were parts that just didn't sit right with me while reading it. I just couldn't wrap my head around why someone would say or do a particular thing.

Sister is very well written. The way it is laid out makes the mystery that much more intense. I liked how it bounced from Bee talking to her sister, in the present, and her recounting the story, in it's entirety, to a lawyer. It kept you guessing the whole time, even with the small bits of foreshadowing thrown in.

Which brings me to the twist at the end, I loved it. I was thrown off at first but, once I started thinking about it, I remembered all the hints throughout. It was brilliantly done.

Overall, this is a really good book. Fast paced, entertaining, well written and gripping.

4 out of 5 stars

BUY IT HERE:Sister: A Novel

No comments:

Post a Comment