Thursday, February 9, 2012

The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley

In the spring of 1708, an invading Jacobite fleet of French and Scottish soldiers nearly succeeded in landing the exiled James Stewart in Scotland to reclaim his crown.
Now, Carrie McClelland hopes to turn that story into her next bestselling novel. Settling herself in the shadow of Slains Castle, she creates a heroine named for one of her own ancestors and starts to write.
But when she discovers her novel is more fact than fiction, Carrie wonders if she might be dealing with ancestral memory, making her the only living person who knows the truth-the ultimate betrayal-that happened all those years ago, and that knowledge comes very close to destroying her...


I loved everything about this book. I am in love with it.

I don't fully agree with the blurb explaining this book. I think it gives the wrong impression of the story. It could have been written better.

Really, this is two stories in one. First, is about Carrie, a writer doing a book about the Jacobites first uprising in 1708. She comes to Scotland to visit her agent and her new baby but in the midst gets inexplicably drawn to Slains Castle and can't bring herself to leave. The second story is her book, which turns out to be much more than just a history lesson but also an epic love story.

I loved how Kearsley went back and forth between the two stories. You start with present day and Carrie but are transported back in time when she gets into her trance and starts writing the book. We read the story as she writes it. Her transitions were flawless as was her story telling. The imagery she used brought me right to Slains Castle and the beaches of Cruden Bay, Scotland. I could feel the cold salty air upon my face and see the billowing white sails out in the distance. I had a hard time pulling myself from the story and found myself disappointed when I came back to reality. I was drawn too far in that it was hard to accept I was not actually there.

I am a hopeless romantic. I am a sucker for a great love story and a happy ending. So, while many people may not like how it wraps up and may find it unnatural, I loved it.

While reading this book I fell in love and my heart skip a beat. I laughed, felt heart wrenching sadness and cried on a few occasions. I don't care what anyone says, a book that makes you feel all of these emotions is a fantastically written book.

5 out of 5 stars

BUY IT HERE:The Winter Sea

1 comment: