Friday, February 17, 2012

The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley

"Whatever time we have," he said, "it will be time enough."

Eva Ward returns to the only place she truly belongs, the old house on the Cornish coast, seeking happiness in memories of childhood summers. There she finds mysterious voices and hidden pathways that sweep her not only into the past, but also into the arms of a man who is not of her time.

But Eva must confront her own ghosts, as well as those of long ago. As she begins to question her place in the present, she comes to realize that she too must decide where she really belongs.

After reading The Winter Sea (which you can find reviewed here) I knew I had to read more by that author, so I picked this book up.

I wanted to love it as much as I did The Winter Sea but sadly I didn't. It was still enjoyable and very well written, it just didn't have the enchantment that The Winter Sea did.

Kearsley is a fantastic writer. She brings you into these worlds and makes you feel them. She can bring out so many emotions in just one book. You are sad, then happy and in love. You laugh and cry and feel every moment of the story. Very few authors can do that.

Once again, Kearsley found a way to weave past and present together in an incredible way. It amazes me, the inventiveness she uses to put these stories together. Just like with the other book, I was much more into the past's story line than the present's. It is probably the hopeless romantic in me, since this is where the love story happens.

The Rose Garden sagged a little in the middle. I found myself skimming parts trying to find where the story was going to pick up again. But, the plot twist at the end made up for that. I just felt the ending was too rushed. I wanted to know more. I wanted the loose ends to be tied up a bit better. I can't say much without giving parts of the story away but if you read it, I'm sure you will understand.

In the end it was a good book, just a bit disappointing. I wanted more out of the story.
I will be reading more by Ms. Kearsley, though. I can't wait to see what else she has in store for me.

3.5 out of 5 stars

BUY IT HERE:The Rose Garden

No comments:

Post a Comment