Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Spire by Aaron Safronoff

Genetic causes, environmental, or self-imposed, the Collective treats all of the maladaptive sort the same way: plug and scrub. “It’s the only sane solution for society.” 
A ‘plug and scrub’ begins with a chemical soup that diminishes the integrity of the proteins you use to make memories. They plug into your Chip and remove unwanted, dysfunctional memories.
The whole process is usually done with great precision--that is, if you're chipped. If not? Well, it's not quite as random as an ice pick. 
I’m chipless, so I’d rather not attract any attention from the Collective, especially the Officer sitting beside me. She was sporting some fantastic GEaR, the kind of myth or military. No way I wanted her to… “Hello, Joshua.” Too late.

This is a very well written, fast read. I read it in nearly one sitting and it kept my attention.

The imagery is fantastic. You really feel like you are in this futuristic world. The concept is intriguing, also. A future where technology becomes so advanced that it buries us and we start to lose our personal freedoms isn't all that realistic in this day and age. It's kind of reminiscent of Orwell's 1984, only it takes it much further.

I didn't feel as much depth to the characters that I like. I didn't feel all that invested in them.
The biggest flaw of the book, though, is it's numerous textual errors. There were so many that it seemed more like a first draft rather than the published version. I really struggled to get past them but I'm glad I did.

This is a good science fiction book filled with drugs, incredible technology and a realistic, overpowering system. It's worth the read.

3.5 out of 5 stars

BUY IT HERE: Spire

No comments:

Post a Comment