Saturday, February 18, 2012

Will Love For Crumbs by Jonna Ivin

Raised by an alcoholic mother and without a father, Jonna learned at a young age to put her needs on the back-burner. After her mother dies of cancer, she goes on a spiritual journey looking for enlightenment and a purpose for her life. Eventually, she ends up as a volunteer in the relief effort following Hurricane Ike. There she meets a man that will forever change her life. In the swamps of Louisiana and the hills of Arkansas, Jonna follows her heart to build a life with an American hero - a 20 year veteran of the Army Special Forces. Only after uprooting her whole life, leaving everything and everyone she knows behind, do the pieces of this fairytale start to unravel. Realizing the man of her dreams is actually the stuff of nightmares; Jonna must once again go within and discover why she is a woman willing to love for crumbs.

I am 'friends' with Ms. Ivin on Goodreads and she emailed me her book when I asked. After reading it, I cannot wait to read what else she comes out with, simply for her writing.

This was a very quick read. It is only 198 pages (ebook version) and is very fast paced. The best thing about the entire book is Ivin's writing. Her wit and humor through everything is what made the book easy to read. She tells her story in a very straight-forward and candid way. She is a very good writer. I laughed out loud at times and she kept me wanting to read more. Like I said, I look forward to reading whatever she puts out next.

Now, the downfalls. I found it hard to follow the story at times because it jumps around without any warning. The chapters are named after the places they take place in, but no time is ever given so when she jumps to the present after talking about the past, and gives no note that she did it, you get mixed up. I wish there was more to it too. The book focuses mainly on her time with Chris, which I won't even get into the disdain I feel for him, especially as a military wife, and only gives glimpses of the past and the present. I would love to know more about her childhood. Most of all, I would love to know what happened next. There was so much buildup towards the end that you really wanted to know, what happens next. But then, it just abruptly ended. Ivin gave a small afterward in the last chapter explaining a little about how she has grown but it left me hanging. It didn't explain where she went or how she got there, nothing. It just ended. I was very disappointed.

If there would have been more to the story I would have, easily, given it 4 or 5 stars. As is, though, it only gets 3.5.

3.5 out of 5 stars

BUY IT HERE:Will Love For Crumbs

No comments:

Post a Comment